If you're worried that your dog has been stung by a bee, it's important to keep an eye on them for any allergic reactions requiring immediate veterinary care. Today, our Dallas vets discuss bee stings in dogs and what you can do to help your pup.
How to Tell if Your Dog Has Been Stung By a Bee
The most common symptoms of a dog stung by a bee are excessive licking, pawing at a specific area of the face or body, swelling, and excessive salivation. If your dog is digging around in a flower bush and yelping or crying, a bee sting may be the likely cause.
The most common spots for a dog to be stung by a bee include the paw, paw pads, the mouth, and the face.
What to Do if Your Dog is Stung By a Bee
After a sting, watch your dog for any sign of an allergic reaction. In the meantime, call your veterinarian to let them know what happened and find out whether you should bring your dog in.
Monitor Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction
The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have experienced bee stings before, or who were stung by multiple bees at once are more likely to have an allergic reaction.
If the site of the sting swells significantly, it is important to monitor your pet's breathing, especially if the bee sting is on the neck or face. If you are concerned that your dog is not receiving enough oxygen, or if they begin to gasp or wheeze, take them to an emergency veterinarian immediately.
If your dog starts vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, this could be a sign of anaphylactic shock. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to your routine vet clinic or emergency vet immediately.
Other critical signs of an allergic reaction include significant drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression.
Make Your Dog Comfortable
If 30 minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is showing no signs of an allergic reaction, you can focus on making them more comfortable.
In this case, your vet may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl), but be sure to use the recommended dosage for your dog.
The stung area of the majority of dogs will be sensitive and swollen. If you can see the sting site and remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to alleviate pain and prevent the spread of venom.
Most dogs should begin to feel better within a few hours after a sting and likely return to normal after a day or two. In the meantime, you can apply a dampened towel to the sting site to reduce inflammation and swelling.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.